Tuesday, August 13, 2013

O.O Tambour Beading O.O

About a year ago, maybe longer, before I quit needle lace, I frequented a bead shop in downtown Cancun. While there, I showed a few pieces of needle lace that I'd made to the owner (people get really chatty and share lots of info here haha) and she told me that she saw people doing the same kind of thing in some French movie that I could find on YouTube.

So, I looked up said French movie, called A Common Thread in English (Brodeuses, in French) about a pregnant girl who starts working for a woman who does embroidery for fashion designers, and I saw the most bizarre technique that stuck with me for a while.

Oh, and before I forget, there wasn't any needle lace anywhere in it =P

Anywho, back to the bizarre technique.

They had this huge embroidery frame stretched out (and I mean huge)--it's the second one shown in the video, even though the whole video's about tambour beading--and they were poking at it over and over again to make this huge pattern.

Here's what I mean:



The whole movie was really cool because they had a lot of really pretty embroidery, and the video I saw had subtitles in Spanish, so I thankfully could understand the storyline and such--but if I'm being honest with myself, I was more there for the embroidery.

My point is that I didn't know what that technique was, and despite googling myself into a wall I couldn't find it.

Since then, I've seen a sprinkling of youtube videos showing the same technique, but under different names that yielded nothing in google--at all. And then yesterday, I found a video by a professor at the University of Kentucky while I was looking at another video on tambour beading (even though at this point, I still didn't know that's what it was called).

And voila!

I feel like a cat that finally caught that little squiggly dot of light =D

In the few hours since them I've gone on a crazy mad nutty hunt trying to find pictures and info--I even started a pinterest board.

^_^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment