Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I said, and so I did.

I did it!
I worked on some tatting Sunday--and on some charts, too!

More specifically, I tatted in order to check the charts.

I do hope that counts.

In the mean time, before I went to bed I decided to do a little embroidery and whipped out Buttaflies again.

I didn't expect much. I've been trying to go to bed before 3 AM (which is harder than it sounds), so I did my best to temper myself.

The far shot:

The close up:

That second ball thing looks a little dingy, but it's part of the plan--which hopefully works.


Friday, October 24, 2014


My last post was about a project that I felt I had neglected... but now I realize that it wasn't the project that I had neglected the most. 

For a while now, I've been avoiding my tatting projects.

I don't know why... I guess I just haven't been feeling very tatterly. 


Now that I have that in mind, though, I shall endeavor to change that!

This is my 250th post!


Sunday, October 19, 2014

Weekend Pledge

Now, I promised I would do something, and I did--and I made sure to take pictures.

My project of choice: Buttaflies.

Last seen as: 

So, I began with the background of the bottom wings. 

As per "protocol", I outlined the shape in my favorite when it comes to shading edges: split stitch (note: the stem stitch I used here is made with the needle splitting the previous stitch from above by going down into the fabric instead of coming up and splitting it from the bottom)

And, as far as I can remember, this was my progress at the end of Saturday:

(please forgive the horizontal lines, I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them post-picture-taking and my light wasn't cooperating)

Now, come Sunday I started a little earlier and finished the whole dark orange section in (for me) record time.

And, about an hour ago, I finished!:

My patience was seriously tested when trying to go around those little circle thingies.
But, done!


Saturday, October 18, 2014


After spending approximately an entire week staring at GIMP (photo editing program) and Inkscape (vector image program), trying to make stuff for my Society6 page, I have decided to take today and do a little textile work.

Now, I haven't done any yet... but I'm going to look over my previous posts, see which project needs a little TLC and go from there. 

Time will tell if it works.


P.S. Check out my Society6 page, I've uploaded some of my mom's photos and they look awesome! 

P.P.S. What do you think of the new background?

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Arrowhead Stitch Tutorial

If you tuned into some of my last posts, you'll remember a "brief" mention of a certain "Arrowhead" stitch.

If memory serves, this is my first embroidery stitch tutorial--so bear with me.

The example you'll see below is actually a part of Doodleplex. I'm using this tutorial to add a little miscellaneous embellishment to mix things up.

Let us begin:

First, make a long stitch (or line of long stitches, depending on how big the shape is and if the center line is straight/curved) down the center of the area you want to fill.
In this case, that would be a McGyvered flower/leaf thing near the edge of Doodleplex Part II:

Next, you make two stitches at the "bottom" of your shape, for as long as you can go while following the outline. Sink the needle either in the same hole as the first big stich or underneath the thread as close to the hole as possible. In this case, because the leaf I'm trying to fill has such an elongated shape, my stitches are long compared to the shape of the leaf:

(please forgive the horrible picture, I couldn't get my camera to cooperate)

Afterwards, keep filling in the shape with stitches parallel to those bottom two stitches. Your stitches should start at the outline (or slightly outside of the outline depending on preference/desired effect), and end under that big stitch down the center.

And just continue that way until you get as far as you want.

If you want an arrow like finish, just keep stitching until you're sinking stitches at the very end of that long stitch. If you want a rounded finish (as seen here), adjust the angle and the length of your stitches when you get to the rounded portion of your shape.

Out of curiosity, I tried stitching a leaf the opposite way. Parallel stitches first, and then the long stitch down the center.

First off, I made a mistake and made my bottom stitches waaaaay too long, so if it looks funny there's a 95% chance it was due to an error on my part.

Other than that, I'd say the effect was very similar if not the same. So, whichever works for you should turn out just fine.


Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bad Blogging and a Curious, Deceptively Unproductive Few Days

(note the caps in the post title)

I've been a bad blogger.
I do apologize for a certain lack of postage...

However, I am here to say that I've been working on stuff--and I have pictures of the stuff! 

They're just still on my camera.

My latest project, however, is not of the textile nature.

I've been dabbling in graphic design--as such I would love to announce that it would absolutely give me the giggles if you:


Also, please check out the new addition to my sidebar!