Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday, January 13, 2012

First Flower Part 2

Hey there, ho there, hi there! =P I am happy to say that I have managed to scare up some nifty pictures of my latest masterpieces (o.0)

 So, the little, denser petals are a double buttonhole stitch, while the bigger petals are essentially the thread coming out from the outline (starting from the center of the flower), making one button hole stitch, going into the outline on the other side, starting a new row, and making two stitches on each side of the first stitch--and just alternating that (one stitch, two stiches, one, two, one, two, yada yada yada). I did that because I didn't want an big thick line running down the center of the petal to show the stem, so I tried to get my gears churning... and I think it sorta kinda works. Yay? Nay?
Back on the ranch, I don't know if this stitch is shown anywhere else (probably is, but who knows?), therefore I hereby christen it......(drum roll)......cracked stitch! (it looks kind of like a crack, doesn't it? ...or is it just me? =D)


Wednesday, January 4, 2012

first flower

So, after the last ring, I decided that I wanted to branch out and not be restrained by purely band-style rings. Deciding to go three dimensional, I started in on a flower that I planned to sew onto a different style of band that I have yet to actually make.

Now, my camera was being moody so I didn't take as many pictures of the production as I wanted, buuuut I did get some.

 Here in the first one, you can see that I've drawn the outline on a piece of paper (the middle's all blurry because I screwed it up and had to white it out--not recommended by the way, since the ink/lead rubs off on the lace by the time you're done =/ ) and sewn it onto two pieces of fabric which you can't see. As far as I've read, you're supposed to put something stiffer like cardboard under the pattern, but I don't particularly care to deal with cardboard, so I just got a 8 x 11 piece of foam from Chedraui (it's weird how much random stuff they have) and stuck that in between two pieces of fabric--though not on this one, on another project I'm working on that came after this. Still, though, the two pieces of fabric worked fine, but I had to stick the needle in and out of every hole I made for the couching thread to make sure I could see it through the fabric.

Now, here you can see this thing that I recently stopped doing, where I buried the two outline threads you usually buttonhole on after you make your stitches into the outline before the stitches were made. I have since realized the error of my ways since this pulled at the couching stitches and in turn the paper, which was then grabbed during the button holing which then just ended up being a big pain in the in the a**.
I do however, like to burying the edges of my stitching in the couching thread instead of wrapping them around the outline. As a beginner, I found it easier to keep the stitches neat that way, but lately I've been thinking of venturing out of that habit since you have to make the couching stitches closer together or farther apart depending on how close you want your rows of stitches to be.

On the bright side, you learn through your screw ups =D

Sunday, January 1, 2012

happy new year!

happy new year everybody! if you had a crappy 2011, make 2012 better! and if you had a great 2011, then kick ass in 2012 =P

woo hoo! end of the world, here we come! o.0 =P