Friday, January 31, 2014

Yulia's Cross Stitch

The other day, a friend of mine, Yulia, came to me and asked me to see if I could help her with this really pretty piece of cross stitch embroidery that had been given to her by a friend. 
At the time, the antennae and the legs of the butterfly were essentially just basted onto the fabric--and being the brilliant blogger that I am, I forgot to take before shots. 

But in a nutshell, this is what I did.

First, I started with the yellow butterfly and whipped a strand of brown stranded cotton around the antenna a couple of times to make it thicker and also to attach it more securely to the cross stitches under it. Then, I went in with a lighter shade of brown to change the color to better match the butterfly.


I messed it up a little. The curve of the antenna was significantly smoother before I used the new color. 

I used a similar technique with the legs, but only whipped one strand of the lighter brown once per leg.


After that I moved onto the brown butterfly, doing the same thing I did with the yellow butterfly, but without changing the color of the antennae.


Regardless of the boo-boos, Yulia was happy with it, so I'm counting this as a success!

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment