Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I may have done something rash...

but so far, I can't seem to regret it. 

Observe: Evelyn's Doily as seen during its last update

I don't think I've actually mentioned this before, but I've always had a problem with the 5th round... you know, the one with those big loopy things that look like a mix between crab claws and a hungover pomegranate.

First of all, they were hard to get right. Despite all the tweaking in the world, I couldn't get the stitch count down and eventually settled for the best I could get <-- first mistake. 

And, quite frankly, I'm not sure they even looked that good to begin with.

Second mistake --> I kept on going, without trying to change the pattern. 

And before I knew it, I was on round number 6, which came with its own slew of problems... many of which I could probably blame on round 5 >_<

When it came to actually working them, on the rare occasion I got one kinda-sorta right, those hungover pomegranates looked like this:

You can kind of see the effect I was going for. 

However, make the slightest mistake and all hell broke loose. 
The picture makes this look better than it really is, though for a better demonstration look at the bottom of the very first picture of this post. -shudders-

Here, I managed to get it to lie flat long enough to take a picture. 

All in all, my point is that I'd actually come to strongly (very strongly) dislike those little hungover pomegranates--to the point that I was actually putting off any work on Evelyn's Doily. 

So I did something about it.

I have to say, it was surprisingly cathartic. 


P.S. I know I've been a little quiet lately, but the gears are still churning over here! I've got plenty of post material backed up and waiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment